Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Now What - Job and Educational Opportunities on the Internet for Nurses

A few days after passing the Nursing Board, the question that we who rejoiced now have to ask the question "Now what?". Maybe 90% of my batchmates who took the board exam in June 0f 2007 are still jobless as of this writing and yet the papers say there is a shortage of nurses. Where have all the vacancies gone? What options do we new RNs have?

Well, for one, we can apply for volunteer work. The sad thing about becoming an RN is not finding a job after securing a license. Most of the employment opportunities require a previous experience. So, if money is not an issue, I would recommend getting a volunteer work at PGH, Philippine Heart Center, National Kidney Institute, Amang Rodriguez or any public training hospital. This will provide you with more in-depth knowledge of the field you have chosen and it will also be part of the credentials you will show when you eventually find work here or abroad.

Another thing that you can do is to take the IV Training offered in hospitals. check with PNA, Fabella, Amang Rodriguez or the Philippine Heart Centers. These offer the courses more frequently than others.

Take a master's degree. Some schools would hire you to teach with them while you are taking your master's degree. I think you need about 9 units taken before you are considered unless they really know you because you graduated from their nursing school. For Pasig Residents, the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Pasig offers the master's at a very low rate.

Look for a job. Check with, POEA, mercan recruit in Robinson's Galleria (I think you only need 6 months experience to be considered in their manpower pool for the US), the Canadian government's website, Bison Manpower and These are the more popular places to look.

Take the NCLEX. I was told that you should apply for your school credentials at once and try to get to the US before it is released. Write your US address in your application so that all correspondence will be directed there. In some states like California and New Mexico, you are allowed to get a temporary permit to work as a nurse pending the release of your result. Take the exam in the US and have your employer process the sponsorship there. Alternatively, you may want to consider taking the CARNE for Canada or the Singaporean Licensure Exam. Requirements and application forms are downloadable from the internet. According to my friend who is in Singapore at present, it only takes 6 months stay in Singapore to become a Permanent Resident and be eligibile to petition your family.

I hope that has helped. God bless us all!

No comments: