Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Help Them Help Themselves

The other day, one of my dad's acquaintances was here to ask for help. I didn't know this lady well. In fact, I only met her about twice in a span of 3 years because she came here looking for my father.

Anyway, the reason she came was to ask for help. Apparently, she was jobless and having lost her husband (due to illness), she was left to fend for herself and her 3 children, the eldest of which was just 11 years old. She said she needed work but was in a dilemma too as noone would be left with the children if she did. I felt compelled to help this person. Not knowing her was not an excuse not to do good. I didn't have money at that time and didn't want to create a beggar out of her. What did I do? Well, I gave her some food that we had on our table and gave her some brand new tee shirts. The food I said was to be eaten with her family. The tees, I told her, were to be sold at a low price so she could have some money to start selling a few things. Hopefully, that money could sustain them till she gets a job. Or maybe she could make it grow so she didn't have to work away from home.

I couldn't explain the feeling I got when she, with tears in her eyes, thanked me for those. There was nothing I could expect to get from her. But, having helped her brought joy not only to my visitor but to me too. My daughter was there and I was so glad she witnessed it.

What would you have done if she came to you?

No comments: