Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Where's My Voice Ariel? - Managing a Cough

Remember Ariel the Little Mermaid? She lost her voice and I have lost mine.I have the cough. How uncomfortable to blog when you're coughing. It's even worse if you go out to work with it. I have it right now but I've managed not to drink any medicine for it. How do I do it? here's how:

1. Garlic - I take raw garlic. It has antibacterial properties when it is eaten raw. Plus, when you chew it, some juices trickle over the throat adding a topical application of the antibiotic.
2. Steam and clapping - I inhale steam by boiling some water and pouring it into a mug. Then I cover the tip of the mug with my hands and make a little hole from which the steam can come out. After that, I give myself a pound on the back using a cooking spoon.
3. Oregano - In the Philippines, our oregano has flat and fleshy leaves. I get 3 mature leaves, heat it over the flame for a few seconds only until it slightly changes color. Then I squeeze out the juice and drink it. This becomes my expectorant. I do this 3 times a day. An alternative to this is
4. Gargle with saline - I make a saline solution of 1 liter water and 1 tsp salt. when the salt is dissolved, this becomes my gargle which I use almost every hour.
5. Rest - how important is it? Very important I should say. It lets your body regain its strength to be able to fight the bacteria.
6. Ginger - this becomes my lozenges. Ginger the size of a sour ball will do the trick.
7. Fluids - As mother used to say "Drink your water!". I would gulp 2 to 3 liters of water. Juice can be taken but water is better.
8. No sweets policy - well, not really. just 1 teaspon of creme brullee' a day wouldn't hurt. haha! Sweet food actually makes the throat dry and thus becomes itchy.

So, there you go. Next time you have the cough, don't be taken over by it. Don't take meds as much as possible but if after 3 days you still have it, by all means trot to your doctor!

No comments: