Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting Out of Debt

Having bills left and right stresses me. Or so it did once in my life. When we came back from the US, there were bills that had piled up that it didn't seem possible to ever get out of it. One of the main reasons was that I had used up the VISA card to its limit. No matter how I wanted it paid soon, the interests kept coming every month and it seemed harder and harder to deal with. I was miserable.

It is such good fortune that my husband is supportive. I surrendered my card but kept paying for the balance until the whole debt was paid for. Then, I remembered how I did the budgeting when we first got married. The lowly but priceless (to me that is) small brown envelopes did the trick. I made a list of everything there was to pay and labelled each envelope for every item on the list. Whenever I had money, no matter how small, I would keep part of it in those tiny envelopes. I also got rid of all the jewelries that I was paying for. Some I returned, the others I sold. Until finally, I was free from all that ordeal. It wasn't easy but it can be done.

No comments: