Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Children Do Learn What They Live

Yesterday I received an e-mail from my brother which has the sample of my nephew's song for the a TV product commercial in Japan. He's 11 years old but already has gotten several offers. The other day, I was told by my daughter's teacher that she is an academic awardee for this school year and will receive it during the Scholar's Convention tomorrow. Such talented kids. Did they just happen to be like that by chance? Maybe. Maybe not.

You see, I do believe that children grow up to become whatever they have been accustomed to. For Ikee, we had plenty of books for her and had read to her from the time she was conceived. Her trips to the mall which were almost every weekend included a stop to the bookstore. I have, for the longest time, been buying books of varied topics and she has so far been addicted to reading that she reads practically anything. Apart from being a reader, she also shares my own "advocacy" for caring for the environment.

My nephew on the other hand has been taught to sing and has been singing since he was 2. His first lessons came from my brother who plays the guitar and sings as well. We have the talent running in our family but noone has ever gotten this far. I'd post a sample of his songs but his dad wouldn't allow me.

What's the lesson here? Well, it is that whatever you expose any child to will sooner or later be part of his system so we, parents, should guide them to the right path.

No comments: