Bahay ni Juana Feed Icon

Monday, August 18, 2008

Movie Review: The Mummy 3

We watched the movie last night. It had been a while since our last movie because of our activities - Ikee's school requirements, Boyet's work, and my job and training hunt.

Brendan Fraser has been our favorite since the first of The Mummy series. I love how he would look so naughty and so wholesome at the same time. Kinda reminds me Dennis the Menace. Well, because I am a big fan of Brendan, I have most certainly watched the mummy series and there's no way I'd let this one pass.

In the movie, Ric O'Connell (played by Brendan Fraser) is the dad of Alex. Alex unearth's the mummy - the chinese emperor who was cursed by a witch after he had betrayed her. As in the prior movies, the emperor is brought back to life but was defeated by Ric.

The movie is supposed to be the sequel of mummy 2 where Alex is in his toddler years. I would have wanted to watch how he would have grown into his teens first before they showed that him as a young adult. Another thing that I would not have expected is the fact that Ric is supposed to be in his fifties or sixties maybe. Even if he were in his late forties, he'd still be considered old. Having an old guy do the "moves" in the movie wasn't really believable. Besides, did Shanghai really have such Westernized shows and cabarets in those years?

But what I loved about the movie is how it had shown the Asian virtue of children honoring and loving their parents like they were some form of deity as contrasted to the western parent-child relationship. In reality, that kind of respect and love. loyalty and sacrifice, although not as intense now as it had been, is still evident in most Asian cultures. That makes me proud to be Asian.

Not that I do not like this movie. I just don't feel it has the "magic" of the first movie. the first one had more romance, adventure, intensity and thrill to it thab this. Don't you agree?

1 comment:

Sherry Go Sharing said...

I havent watch it..